What Would You Do?
Without legal marriage rights, couples face challenges that are overwhelming - think about it:
- If you were unable to visit your spouse in the hospital
- If your child was sick but you knew your child's doctor bills may not be covered
- If you were unable to share your life partner's social security in your later years
- If you were spending thousands of extra dollars because you cannot claim joint deductions
- If you couldn't have legal guardianship over the children you've helped raise for years
- If, even after 20 years together, your spouse is called your "friend" at parties and family gatherings
- If, even after 30 years together, you have to check "single" as your marital status on every single form you complete
- If your life partner died and you were denied access to the body, not allowed to plan the funeral, and lost the home and possessions the two of you had spent a lifetime working for, building and collecting - together...
These are just a fraction of the challenges faced daily by same-sex couples.
Why Society Should Allow Same-Sex Couples to Marry
- If society cares about all its children, gay and lesbian couples should be allowed to protect them in a way that ONLY civil marriage allows.
- September 11th proved that the inability to enter into a civil marriage can cause greater grief in a time of tragedy. Years later grieving partners are still battling for property and insurance claims just because they could not marry.
- The marriage of two adults of the same sex who seek to make a lifetime commitment to one another takes nothing away from the marriages of anyone else.
- Legal marriage strengthens a relationship, and commitment is what makes a marriage.
- Supported couples make better contributions to society.
- The movement for marriage equality of same-sex couples is actually a recognition of the importance and power of marriage.
- Because it is fair: Requiring equality condones equality. Remember, you don't have to be gay to support a same-sex couple's right to marriage equality.