Marriage Equality USA was officially founded in 2001 and is a volunteer-driven, national grassroots organization. Our primary purpose is to end discrimination regarding civil marriage so that non-heterosexual couples have access to the same legal benefits, family protections, responsibilities and societal status as married heterosexual couples. We are a registered 501(c)3 tax-exempt non-profit educational and social welfare organization. (Our history)
To secure legally recognized civil marriage equality for all, without regard to sexual orientation or gender identity, at the state and federal level through grassroots organizing, education, action and partnerships.
LOCAL ACTION, NATIONAL SERVICE
- We empower individual voices and local community actions through volunteer-driven grassroots work, supported by national staff.
- We balance local actions and collective national initiatives working in concert together.
ACCOUNTABILITY & RESPECT
- We are self-motivated, accountable for our efforts, claim rightful credit for our work, and share credit generously both inside and outside the organization.
- We are honest, trustworthy, respectful, and transparent in our actions, motivations and communications, with ourselves and with others.
DIVERSITY & SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- We support meaningful diversity in our leaders, members, and ideas.
- We are focused on our core mission but embrace and support our community and allies on other important issues where possible.
COLLABORATION & CREATIVITY
- We collaborate and cooperate within and across local, regional, and national boundaries, and actively engage with partner organizations around common goals.
- We believe that one size doesn’t fit all, and value and encourage multiple ideas, organizations, approaches, and solutions to achieving full civil marriage equality.
EMPOWERING GRASSROOTS VOLUNTEERS
Marriage Equality USA empowers, and trains local and national supporters throughout the country to get engaged in support of marriage equality. One of our organizational goals is to encourage creative activism with minimal limitations while maintaining functionality. Volunteer leaders share their personal stories, participate in regular national leadership calls, receive assistance with talking points and working with the media, participate in phone banks and canvassing, handle public speaking opportunities, provide public education to their local communities, and receive direct action materials and coaching to help ensure their success.
We thrive on the support of coalitions. We are dedicated to collaborating and cooperating with other organizations and social movements to achieve common goals.
Greater awareness lessens the fears and misconceptions regarding same-sex couples and their families. MEUSA actively sponsors and engages in letter-writing campaigns, media events, rallies, and other high-profile visibility activities. We believe exposure through all types of media, including: film, television, public service announcements, the Internet, print, radio, and social media are extremely effective ways to educate the public at-large. By putting same-sex marriage in the news, we ensure maximum visibility. We have generated thousands of news articles highlighting local same-sex couples and their supporters. Our Communications Team responds to media inquiries from journalists and news shows seeking to speak directly to same-sex couples who are seeking the freedom to marry.
Marriage Equality USA
P.O. Box 121, Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113